Re: [MV] loudspeaker

From: Edward Greeley (etgreeley@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 18:25:00 PDT

The "0" is the common connection. One of the two wires providing the
output of the amplifier connects to this. The "250", "500", etc.
connections are impedance matching taps (specified in ohms) on the
transformer mounted in the speaker. The second of the two amp output
wires connects to one of these. The trick is that you need to know the
output impedance of the amp so that you can select the correct tap to
connect it to. It doesn't have to be exact, plus or minus 30 percent
will usually function OK. For example, some amps have 600 ohm outputs so
you would use the 500 ohm tap on the speaker and have reasonably good
efficiency. The greater the mismatch, the less efficiency (meaning less
amp output) you will have. Too great a mismatch can damage some amps,
especially high power ones. Solid state amps are generally more
sensitive to this sort of damage than vacuum tube amps.

BTW, the AN/TIQ-xx was a field/tactical public address system.

Hope this helps a bit...

Ed Greeleey