Re: [MV] M35A2 rear axle seal problem

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 23:28:14 PDT

Kirk Thompson wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I am having a really hard time if getting the rear-forward axle outer axle
> seals to seal on my deuce. I have installed new ones (including the keyway
> cork seal) and it still leaks.
>
> Facts:
> 1. I can't find any axle tube vent on the axle. I was thinking maybe
> pressure was building up and blowing oil past the seal.

It is on the top of the axle tube. see the picture at
"http://208.190.133.201/deuce_and_a_half/35xle08.jpg"
and you can barely see it to the right of the pumpkin, a little nib,
in the dark.

> 2. The cone bearings and races look (and feel) good.
> 3. Installed new seals I got from Memphis Equipment.

I did too. Mine leaked and I found that the first time, the inner seal
was not done properly, not seated evenly and therefore bent slightly
due to a burr which was overlooked.

> 4. Filled differential up to bottom of fill plug (too much?).

Yes. I fill mine 1" below.

> 5. Snugged the spindle nuts to where there is no lateral play in the hub.
> Not more, not less.

Do by the book torque with a torque wrench only.

> 6. I have heard from my tire repair shop guy that the rear seals are really
> finicky on these trucks (True?)

indeed!

> 7. The outer seal surface that seals against the axle flange seems to have
> very minimal contact with the flange (by looking at it sideways and seeing
> how far it sticks out). Does this indicate my bearings/races are too worn
> and are preventing a good contact surface?

Hmm. I drew this, maybe it will help.
"http://208.190.133.201/deuce_and_a_half/hubdrawing.jpg"

> 8. The speedo reads 53K miles.
>
> Any ideas are appreciated. Thnx.

The whole page is
"http://208.190.133.201/deuce_and_a_half/m35_axle_seals.html" and has
comments gleaned from the list and from MSG Halfmast at LOGSA. I went
through this and had a National guard mechanic finally tell me that
sometimes, you have to do it over. use all new parts if you do. Or it
will leak again!