Re: [MV] HUGE Brother (eBay) is watching

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 23:55:14 PDT

I've been selling and buying stuff on Ebay for years. I've sold hundreds
of items and bought not nearly as much as I have sold.

When a person goes into a store to buy an item, there is an inherent
expectation that the transaction is not entirely public. For instance, if
I go into a drug store to buy supplies, I don't expect to see my name on
the sign out front telling the public that I saved $10 on a case of condoms
the night before. The transaction is semi-private, and certainly not
something that I would expect to be above the fold on the newspaper the
next day.

I'm sure that none of the customers I have dealt with on Ebay expect that
also. In fact I'm quite sure that if all sales on Ebay were entirely
public, that their sales volume would fall like a rock.

Mel, your idealized version of Ebay is just what they want you to think.
Community, BS. Ebay is a multbillion dollar company that is creating an
image that you have sopped up. The community is a bunch of agreements that
form rules that run on servers at Ebay. Ebay is no more of a community
than is the flea market down the street.

The fact that you can buy and sell stuff and not get ripped off most of the
time is not something I think is a great improvement over the flea market
concept. The only thing is that Ebay is global versus local. It's a great
place to sell certain things.

Ebay has a lot of problems as anyone who has dealt with Ebay certainly
knows. Just try to call them with a problem. When you find out how, give
me the number please.

The Ebay folks are far from stupid. I'm quite sure that Mr. Sullivan will
get reprimanded. If nothing else, that was a public relations blunder. I
just got my new Paypal privacy disclosure and it says nothing about handing
over all info to any law enforcement guy who faxes them. If they start
actively doing that their business will slow tremendously for the reasons I
said above.

I know a lot of people that believe that anyone who does anything that is
not 100% conformant with their beliefs are very suspicious. Ebay needs to
be careful in how they handle this semi-private info or everyone will go
back to the flea market instead of using Ebay.

>> (eBay itself goes further than this, employing six investigators who are
>> charged
>> with tracking down "suspicious people" and "suspicious behavior.")

Suspicious Dave

--
Dave