Deuce oil leaks....

From: Greg (czechsix@cox.net)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 10:34:57 PDT

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions for the experienced multifuel people out there.
This is a new truck for me, and as I'm going through it and
tightening/replacing things, one of the things I noted was this leak from
the #3 and #4 exhaust manifold ports. It's also enough that it's traveling
through the exhaust side of the turbo, and making its way out the clamp, in
a few drips.

Not firing in these cylinders? Bad blow-by? Shot rings? Just a crappy
manifold gasket? If it was a gas engine I'd say bad rings and blow-by, but
with this Diesel engine, could it be just a bad manifold gasket and regular
exhaust + a bad seal on the turbo/exhaust pipe interface?

There doesn't seem to be any pressure coming out of the breather tube
though....or very light pressure at the most. Seems like that should be
normal? Engine runs smoothly, has plenty of power, and doesn't seem to eat
oil.

Not being an experienced deuce person - and thinking that #3 and #4 might
have bad blow-by, would anyone that wants take a look at these pics and tell
me what you think?

(btw, for those of you that are dialup, all of these are small .jpgs - about
60K)

General view of the problem area:
http://members.cox.net/czechsix//M35/OLbig.jpg

Close in of the bottom of the manifold:
http://members.cox.net/czechsix//M35/OL4man.jpg

Bottom view of the turbo clamp (oil drip on the bottom of the clamp):
http://members.cox.net/czechsix//M35/OLturbo.jpg

Spray pattern on the top of the starter:
http://members.cox.net/czechsix//M35/OLstart.jpg

LDT 465 1-D, straight from the Marines. It's running Delo 400 15W/40, new
filters.

Thanks in advance...
Greg
Vista, CA