Re: [MV] HUGE Brother (eBay) is watching

From: Mel Miller (nourmahal@att.net)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 17:43:51 PDT

Howdy Mr. Forster and Mr. Cole,

Mr. Cole,

You are right that, on one level, Ebay is a very successful multimillion
dollar corporation with an image to protect. I do not agree with some of
their politically correct rules concerning the sale of weapons and certain
memorabilia, but the rules are theirs as they own the company.

However, on the level where I interact with Ebay , the important factors are
feedback, feedback, feedback, and my own well tuned senses. I am happy that
they cooperate with police quickly as speed is of the essence in catching
fraudsters. The policy allowed me to help one person recover his stolen
laptop computer.

To John,

I know that Ebay management cannot protect everyone when transactions go bad
- they need the help of their customers and of law enforcement.I suggest you
take these actions. First, leave flaming negative feedback on the
transaction. Second, a complaint to Ebay management directly is part of the
process. This allows them to flag the other Ebayer for further action. If
your complaint is the second or third like it in the offending members file,
action may be taken internally. Third, you must contact your local Police
Department's(PD) fraud unit with all the details of the transaction. They
have the power to then contact Ebay, get the miscreant's info and contact
the PD in the offenders area and hopefully get them to take action.

It is not a perfect system, but it is hard to catch people intent on fraud
in any case. The best we can do is deal with people with good feedback and
run like H when our instincts tell us something is fishy!

Mel Miller
Corpus Christi, TX
361-937-3317
M725