Re: [MV] My mistake. Off-topic. Delete now.

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Jun 29 2003 - 19:42:03 PDT

>Of course, you now have the problem that if you set up a honey pot,
>you're breaking federal law. If you try to figure out the source code
>for a particular brand of router or security application to determine
>it's security, you're breaking federal law. If you find a hole in a
>security apparatus and report it, you could be breaking the law.

That is something you and I see eye to eye on. It is a security product
and the end user should have a reasonable right to ensure that it is
working as advertised PROVIDED it was purchased legally and the one being
tested is the same one. This is like disassembling a carburetor on your
own car which you suspect is malfunctioning. Not the same as someone
playing around with parts on my car when they aren't invited to do so.

And because too many hackers like to take joy rides in other people's
servers, do distructive things, and generally be criminal you get an
overreaching law. Just like we MVers are always at risk of seeing when
someone with an MV does something illegal/asinine.

Steve