Lights...electrical problems

From: Caleb Pal, Network Operations (sysop@spitfire.homelinux.com)
Date: Sun Jun 29 2003 - 22:19:35 PDT

Hello list,

I got some new wiring harness for my M211, mainly the rear one, headlight
harness, and such. Well I hooked up the new harness to the plug under the
cab, taped a couple of M35 tail lights to the end of ther harness, grounded
both bolts (I figured out one bolt is blackout ground, one bolt it tail/turn
ground. Anyways, when i go to the first position on the left on the main
light switch,(Blackout marker(I think)), the middle light on the tail light
lights up, its red and has 2 little things of light (My tail lights have 3
things, a yellow b/o marker on the bottom, a red b/o marker in the middle,
and the main tail light on top. So when im in the fisrt position on the
left, the tail light b/o's light up, and the fron ones light up (the ones
that are positioned right above the headlights. Well when i go to the next
position on the left, everything stays the same as the previous position,
except my blackout marker on the front drivers side lights up, like a 4.5
inch light with a hood. Then all hell breaks loose. I go to the first
position on the right, nothing, second position, nothing. I should be seeing
tail lights and headlights, but nothing. It is really fusterating. A side
note, the yellow b/o markers in the tail lights never light up in any
position, are they b/o turn signals? I have no clue. On the front b/o
lights, there are the little markers that have 2 little light guides inside,
for convoys, the whole distance thing. There is a seperate bulb on top, that
looks like it might be a turn signal, but its not colored. It never lights
up during any of this.(Is it suposed to be some sort of headlamp? I do not
have a turn signal switch on this truck. Sorry I have been so descriptive,
just trying my best to explain it in a understandable way. The only things i
can think of are a bad switch. Is this possible? Has anything like this
happened to anyone else?

Thanks a ton!

Caleb