Backwards Threading

From: Horrocks, Aaron (ACHb@pge.com)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 08:17:46 PDT

Military Vehicles Mailing List,

What side of an early 50s jeep's wheel lug nuts are "left-handed" (backwards) threaded? I ask because mine got screwed up, by me, and some time in the near future I'll be making a trip down to the central/lower areas of california with a fellow lister, Jim Newton, who found some M38A1 axles on a pallet for a good price. It's good to have a friend with the same addiction. Er, I mean hobby.
The rear axle on my jeep still leaks. I've replaced everything on it, but the axle itself! I want to get the axles right when I get these new replacement/spare parts.

Background story...

Back in late 01' and early '02 I had my jeep totally torn down, and I was rebuilding the axles. I had to take them to some local jeep experts to get them to remove the bearing retainers. (hey you need special tools for that stuff!)

I had the axels torn apart on separate tables with all the parts neatly laid out so they could go back into the same location. However, when I got the axels back from the local shop, I forgot about which way the axle was facing! on one of them, I screwed up, literally!

They say there's no such thing as a stupid question...

Anyhow what I'm left with now is this:
Right-hand thread: front drivers, rear passenger
Left-hand "backwards" threads: front passenger, rear driver

Thanks for your time and answers in advance!

Aaron Horrocks
1952 M38A1