Re: [MV] Backwards Threading

From: Buzz (buzz@softcom.net)
Date: Mon Jun 30 2003 - 10:17:07 PDT

The special tools that i use to remove axle bearings and retainers are; a LARGE hammer, a cold
chisel, and safety glasses. I have my assistant hold the axle so that the retainer is on the vise
anvil, then position the chisel on the retainer, then I whlop the chisel as hard as can. If the
ring doesn't split it'll loosen enough so that you can slide it off of the axle. The bearing can be
dealt with in the same way. The steel is very hard so it is also very brittle, like glass. Hence
the safety glasses.

Buzz

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:17:46 -0700, you wrote:
>Back in late 01' and early '02 I had my jeep totally torn down, and I was rebuilding the axles. I
had to take them to some local jeep experts to get them to remove the bearing retainers. (hey you
need special tools for that stuff!)