[MV] July 4th and the deuce.

From: bonnie houghton (b.houghton@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 11:46:21 PDT

  Every Year I seem to drive my M35A2 more and more, it seems to never get
tired. Though I may sweat through the heat of July and freeze in Nov with
the cold, the truck just go's and go's. I could say today is no different
then any other day, but it is. Today is the 4th of July, the day we
celebrate our freedom. A day where people have cookouts with their family's
and wave flags at there home town parade. Then later in the evening watch
fireworks while sitting on a blanket. I too will do that later this
evening, but do people think about how we got this freedom?? I do every
time I get behind the wheel of my truck. But today was the 4th of July!
Today I drove my truck in the parade of a typical Vermont town. You had
your fire trucks and your tractors. Local business and their floats,
throwing candy to the kids by the road. The people waving flags and their
hands in the excitement of the parade passing by. At one point I get
drifting away from the parade and the people and think about what its all
for. I think about the Vietnam Vets I spent 3 days with in Virgina last
month. I think about the man at the last corner that was sitting in his
lawn chair waving a flag while wearing a 2nd Armored Division hat with his
WW2 Service ribbon. I think about the family that is riding with us in the
back of my deuce. Who's husband isnt with us this year cause he is driving
a truck (probably just like mine) out in the middle of the desert in Iraq.
I wonder how he will celebrate his 4th.

Jeff Houghton