Re: [MV] 6TL Charging Problems

From: Fred H. Schlesinger (fred@schlesingers.net)
Date: Sat Jul 05 2003 - 06:20:15 PDT

EDTA, not EDTL
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Newton" <jnewton@laurel.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2003 3:23 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] 6TL Charging Problems

Hi Dick...

I use the EDTL chemical as well in my batteries. However, if you find
yourself with a battery that has the symptoms first described in this
thread, you are usually better off having the batteries zapped and
THEN adding EDTL after the batteries have been recovered. The
chemical is much better at re-dissolving small amounts of sulfation on
the plates and keeping it off. If the sulfation is too thick, the
chemical will not work to recover the battery.

>Pay a visit to: www.sciencelab.com
>
>They have an anti-sulfation chemical that you can add to the your
>battery and prevent the plates from sulfating.
>\
>Maybe you can buy it at an agricultural or commercial truck supply placed, too.
>
>Dick
>
>Jim Newton wrote:
>>
>> Hi Kenneth...
>>
>> Take it to your local battery house (not Pep Boys...an industrial or
>> agricultural battery place) and ask them to zap the battery and test
>> it for you. Most places charge around $10 to do this. In almost all
>> cases, this will revive the battery. The plates on the 6TL batteries
>> are so thick that they are not prone to corrosion or decay. The
>> problem that they have in HMVs is they build up sulfation. Zapping
>> the battery blows off the sulfation.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> >Greetings list. My deuce tractor suddenly developed a starting problem. I
had
>> >one episode of slower cranking and then no start. I checked the batteries
and
>> >the rear battery was at 13+ volts. The front was at 10.5 volts. Slaved the
>> >truck and took it for a spin. Volt meter reading was normal. Parked the
truck,
>> >attempted to restart, click click. Today I pulled the low battery and hooked
>> >it up to the charger. The battery just isn't accepting a charge. I even went
>> >around the battery with a small dead blow hammer and gave it a few taps.
These