Re: [MV] 11.00x20's on my deuce

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Sat Jul 05 2003 - 08:43:27 PDT

K,

         Really very easy..........place lug wrench on nut to be loosened
and run breaker bar through hole so about 1/2 inch comes out other side of
wrench.....place both hands on truck and step on the end of the breaker bar
with foot and slowly apply your weight to it in case the wrench
slips......now presuming your standing on the end of the breaker bar gently
"bounce" yourself up and down without loosing contact with your
foot/bar.....your downward pressure will generally exceed the torqued nut
and break it loose. Works on 12R-22.5 on my triaxle dump truck. Remember
the hands are on the truck to support you as you bounce and will allow you
to prevent yourself from hurting yourself.

         Easier method is buy a 3/4 inch air gun with the proper reversible
socket.....will take a while as a 3/4 inch gun requires a 1/2 inch air line
for proper air supply.

Jim

At 11:55 AM 7/3/2003 -0600, Kirk Thompson wrote:
>Speaking of flats, if the lugs are tightened to spec @320-350 ft/lbs, how
>in the world am I going to loosen them up with a [hand] lug wrench?
>
>I've tried even with a big-ass piece of pipe on the tool for extra
>leverage and couldn't budge 'em.
>
>I have loosened the fronts with an impact hammer and have hand-tightened
>them (as tight as I could get them) with the lug wrench just so I can get
>them off by hand if a tire change is needed in the field.
>
>I figure if it get a rear flat, the dually will keep me going until I get
>to the air tools.
>
>-K
>
>At 11:03 AM 7/3/2003 -0400, RKubu@aol.com wrote:
>>On the downside, if you get a flat on one of the rear tires, there are no
>>other tires to keep you rolling. I do prefer the singles, but I have
>>noticed that the larger tires cut down on power, moreso on a deuce than a
>>5 ton. I do agree that they substantially increase the speed. There are
>>pluses and minuses, but I like them better.
>>
>>Bruce

>>To unsubscribe, send e-mail to: <mil-veh-off@mil-veh.org>
>>To switch to the DIGEST mode, send e-mail to <mil-veh-digest@mil-veh.org>
>>To reach a human, contact <ack@mil-veh.org>