David Wright / Repairing shafts

From: L51940@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 17:52:27 PDT

Sorry to here about David Wright losing his job. Although I have never had the pleasure of doing business w/ him, his contributions to the list show that he is an honorable man. Maybe that attribute rocked the boat at GL.

We are mechanical contractors and a lot of bigger, older air handlers have blower shafts that are very specific to the machine. They generally require a lot of lead time to get a new one. We usually get to see these shafts when one of the bearings has plowed a big groove in it. The customer is hot (or cold) and needs it fixed now. We send these out to a company that welds up the grooves and machines the bearing surfaces back to size. I believe that for lesser worn surfaces they metalizes it. Basically they spray on metal and then machine that. Someone on the list may have first hand knowledge about metalizing.

Dave McConnell