Re: [MV] MULE (MV) oil leak problems

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 05:34:08 PDT

Just a reminder that heavy oil leaks less than thin oil and synthetic
oil seems to leak the most. If possible...try not driving the seals in
so far so they'll have a new metal sealing surface...instead of riding
in the groove worn by old seal...but...you already knew that! As an off
the wall method...you might try epoxying another seal onto the one thats
already there...if theres room. Otherwise, it's take the offending part
out, put it in a lathe, cut a groove where the surface is worn (with
dovetailed side faces to hold industrial epoxy in), build up with
...say...Devcon putty type steel, let harden and machine new surface and
polish. If you think that this will not hold a seal...let me tell you
that I've done it before...and you will need a carbide tool...cause
it'll take the nose off of a high speed tool. And it works like a charm.
I've tried welding and brazing methods...but the epoxy method is it for
me...cheaper and faster. Fred Martin