Re: [MV] Sprag Transfer Case

From: Bill & Bonnie Prestin (bprestin@chartermi.net)
Date: Thu Jul 10 2003 - 18:49:43 PDT

Scott & Donna,

    I just rebuilt an air shift transfer case and parted out the old sprag
transfer case for my truck. I thought at first that all you had to do was
swap the front housings to make a sprag unit into an airlock. I was wrong.
The lower two gear shafts (inside the transfer case) are different on the
ends towards the front of the truck. You would have to pull the whole case
apart to swap the shafts or put one of the manual shift kits from Memphis
equipment in the front of the sprag case. It is not hard to do the swap. I
think you could do it in a weekend no problem, even one day if you kept at
it. You can put in a shift kit in a couple of hours. The advantage to the
sprag unit is that it engages it for you. The disadvantages are that it
drives the front axle 7% slower than the rear axles. That you have to be
careful how you shift on pavement so you do not build up tension between the
front and rear axles. (you always have to shift through first gear when
going from forward-to-reverse-to-forward)
    The only parts different on the truck for an air lock, is the air lines
and valve on the dash, & maybe a regulator to reduce the air press?. (I'll
know more after I put in the "air lock transfer case installation kit" All
the drive shafts and mounts are the same.

If you have any other questions, just ask,

Bill
Michigan