Re: [MV] CJ2A overheating...

From: kuhrick@comcast.net
Date: Sat Jul 12 2003 - 22:22:40 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "E Adams" <shadow@vci.net>
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2003 11:31 PM
Subject: [MV] CJ2A overheating...

> Need help guys. Got a overheating problem. I flushed the radiator tonight
> (took off hoses and ran water through it) and noticed that the top hose
from
> the radiator to the block had a soft spot. Took it off and it had a rusty
> spring inside that had broken in pieces. The top of the hose was about
1/4
> of the way collapsed. Took the metal piece it attached to on the engine
> off. NO thermostat... It is supposed to have one right??? Would it make
it
> overheat if it didn't? It has a brand new water pump on it. Keep in mind
> just bought the Jeep and have zero prior knowledge of the engine. I do
know
> that its a 71 pinto engine, has a new water pump.
>
> 1) Does it need a thermostat?
i have been told thay thay are needed for good cooling i dont see how thay
are
should cool ok with out tham
> 2) If I get a new thermostat what "temp" one do I need? As in opening temp
most or tham i can think of would use a state temp depeanding on if heat
to heat cab is needed
if youy run it in -50 temps all the time i 190f or some thing
if youy dontr need heat a 140f
> 3) replace that hose on top is a given.
> 4) What else do I need to check? It holds water fine
A radiator shop will look at 20-22 things on most cards
and find the truble in frist 10-15
thay mite be worth looking into if you run into truble
i know men that rebilt a motor to fix boil over and than had a $ 10
part fix it after word
some timer the pros that charge $29.99 or what ever is the cheepst
way

> Any suggestions are welcome as I am NOT a mechanic. I am tryig to learn
> service my Willys myself though. :)
>
> Eric

ken kb9yku
m886