Re: [MV] Military Air Conditioner/Heater Information

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Sun Jul 13 2003 - 12:55:18 PDT

I am working on a program for a new machine that is being built in an old
machine shop that is wired in a similar way, actually it is a 4 wire
system, with 120 -> grnd, 120 -> grnd, 240 -> grnd, and the three Lines
have 240 3phase between them. It took a while to figure out how to hook up
the motion controller I'm working on so I would not smoke the unit. The
service supplying the building is 1920's vintage and should be condemned.
(Seriously!)

208 Y 120 3 phase is very common with 120 between the legs and the neutral.
 480 Y 277 is also very common in larger industrial plants. In the old
days they did all kinds of goofy things that are not friendly to computers.
 Like ungrounded 440/480 volt delta systems which tend to kill computer
equipment. General Motors standardized on that system because you could
short a phase to ground and still run the plant! That was nice, but the
other two ungrounded legs went to 440/480 volts above ground when that
occurs and computers power supplies don't like that.

Dave

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 08:39:02 -0400, Fred Martin <mung@in-touch.net> wrote:

> The last time I put 3 phase in a bldg., it was the four wire delta
> system...120, 120, 208 (wild leg) and a common. As I recall, years ago a
> nameplate on an electric motor might read 110, 208, 220 volts. Haven't
> seen it for a long time though. Fred Martin
>
> Ryan Gill wrote:
>> At 1:54 PM -0700 7/10/03, Horrocks, Aaron wrote:
>>
>>> While I have no experience with military AC/Heating units, I can tell
>>> you about the juice needed for it!
>>>
>>> For 60Hz here's the standards:
>>>
>>> Voltage Phase Wires
>>> 120/240 1 3 Used commonly in homes, small business
>>> 120/208 1 3
>>> 120/208Y 3 4
>>

>> Isn't 120/208 based on it being off of a 3 phase system (4 wires total
>> at the box?) 208 volts being the sum of 2 hot wires that are 120° out of
>> phase. Home 120/240 involves 2 hot wires that are in phase and yielding
>> a total sum of 240 volts.
>>
>> How do you get 120/208 off of a single phase system? Isn't it by
>> default, off of a 3 phase 4 wire system?
>>

>>> 240 3 3 " " pumps
>>> 120/240 3 4 " " small business

--
Dave