Re: [MV] Need gear lube help.(again)

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Sun Jul 13 2003 - 15:41:52 PDT

There are two arguments:

1. GL1 is original spec gear oil for everything including my 1939 9N
tractor for general gear use. It is a very old spec. GL1 has no additives
to speak of so it is non-corrosive to brass and bronzer parts like
synchros, etc used in transmissions. You can find it at a lot of tractor
stores and even Walmart the last time I looked.

2. GL5/MT1 is the newest spec, I believe, it is an EP rated lubricant and
it has all of the newest additives for extreme pressure, high temps, etc.
Regular GL5 has no special designation to protect brass and bronze parts.
Although tests of GL5 routinely include corrosiveness tests on brass and
bronze. MT1 was a designation that was created to show that the newest
fluids had corrosion inhibitors to protect brass parts.

Some people prefer to use the old fluid, GL1 since it is thought to be very
safe but perhaps not the best lubricant. Others prefer to use the newest
lubricant because it has superior lubrication properties (after all, what
is lube for?) and the newest stuff also protects brass and bronze parts.
The MT1 designation makes sure of that.

The fact is that either should work fine if you don't drive much. However
GL5 is a superior lubricant compared to GL1, and there is no doubt about
that. If you actually want to use your trucks, I'd recommend a decent name
brand GL5/MT1. After all how much does a set of gears cost for a half
track? The most expensive GL5/MT1 starts to look pretty cheap in those
terms.

FWIW,

Dave

--