Re: [MV] soreheads

From: rertman@ix.netcom.com
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 08:30:18 PDT

Speaking of interesting colors on MIL Vehicles, none other than the
U.S. Navy owned a battleship gray Jeep Wagoneer and a second one that
was bright pink. They belonged to the Navy's VXE-6 squadron, which
provided air transport and on-site support to the National Science
Foundation's Antarctic activities. I was down on the ice at McMurdo
in 1972 and that's where the Jeeps lived. They had electric engine
and transmission heaters that kept them functional when they weren't
being used. The "ink Panther" was the squadron C.O. official vehicle
and the "Gray Ghost" was for the Executive Officer. VXE-6 also had
a fleet of ski-equipped Lockheed C-130 airplanes with bright orange
tails and wingtips. These airplanes carried personnel and gear to and
from the ice to various places around the world. In 1972, VXE-6 was
based at Naval Air Station Quonset Point, RI. Eventually, they moved to
NAS Point Mugu, CA. Down on the ice, they also had a few Bell UH-1N
helicopters painted bright international safety orange.

VXE-6 was decommissioned a few years ago and the Antarctic Support
Activities were given to the New York air National Guard, based in
upstate NY. The ANG now has all the aircraft and I have no idea what
became of the Jeeps.

So, unusual colors can even be official on some MIL vehicles.

Dick