Re: [MV] Leaking propane tank...CJ2A Propane conv.

From: Richard (metal@fullwave.com)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 16:08:19 PDT

Eric,

Gas-grill cylinders are VAPOR-TAP...and
the tank on a propane-vehicle is almost certainly
LIQUID tap....with the liquid piped to a vaporizer.

In other words, the gas-grill tank would probably
not work very well.

In regards to the gauge, if it's like the one on
my tank, it's a magnetic gauge. In other words,
the internal gauge mechanism rotates a magnet
BELOW the seal, and that magnet actuates the
gauge pointer ABOVE the seal.

The 'innards' should be part of a screwed-in
assembly. You should be able to simply unscrew
it, clean the threads, apply new sealer, and re-install.

I've never seen a welded-in one. In fact, I've never
seen ANY thing welded into a propane tank except
for female pipe-thread fittings. All valves, taps, gauges
etc. are normally male pipe-thread. This is so that
any of these things can be repaired or replaced without
having to weld the tank.

If you really do have a cracked weld around one of
those fittings....hmmm....I'm not sure I'd weld it.

I have confidence in my welding, but....it's just one
of those things :)

Theoretically, there's no reason you can't weld it.
It was welded in the first place. But I dunno....

But I've never seen a cracked weld on a propane
tank. They're typically made and inspected to pretty
high standards....and are usually stress-relieved after
welding, or shot-peened, etc. etc..

Final note: Older tanks used the old-style "pipe goo"
on the fitting threads, and that stuff can really harden
up solid. I've had a couple that I just could not get
out. The pipe wrench just started destroying the
fitting.

One of these days, I'll get around to purging the tank
with argon, and then heating the fitting with a torch.
That almost always loosens 'em up OK. Anyway, be
prepared for that gauge fitting to be pretty damn tight.
Use a good wrench from the very first effort; or even
better, a 6-point socket if you possibly can.

And of course, none of the above is to be construed
as advice or instruction! It's just my own opinion.
Seek professional help...etc. etc..

Richard

--
www.OregonStone.Com