Re: [MV] A story about batteries back from the grave!

From: Employee@MilVeh.com
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 21:50:54 PDT

My kid drove our little Volvo troop carrier last month
to a Vets event and being unfamiliar with it, he
accidently left the lights on when he brought it home.
 It was a few days later when we discovered what
happened.

Needless to say, those batteries were dead, dead,
dead. They absolutely would not take a charge.
Battery shop confirmed they were gone and offered to
sell me new ones. I thought, "man thats a bummer,
these things cost about $75 each to replace and then I
tought about the battery chemical we've been talking
about."

Despite well intentioned professional advice to the
contrary, I invested in that battery liquid from J.C.
Whitney, that pink fluid in a quart bottle. It cost
me $24 but, 2 oz. is supposed to treat a normal car
battery.

I drained each battery of it's acid, flushed them 3
times with water, filled with a solution of clear
water and the conditioner. Let them sit overnight,
then drained, flushed again and refilled with the old
battery acid. First one charged full in 6 hours on a
trickle charger. Second charged full in 9 hours. It
was 2 days of sitting in the garage and they both
stilled showed a full charge, so they went back in and
everything is still fine as far as I can tell.

I did that with another old battery about a year ago
and it still works like new. Yes, I know the guys at
the battery shop scoff at this "snake oil stuff" and
they tell me I'll find out how good it is when the
batteries fail me out in middle of nowhere ... well,
maybe, but I doubt it and I'll take my chances.

I'm a believer because I tried it a long time ago and
that stuff really works. Maybe not always, because it
depends on what went wrong with the battery in the
first place. But, all I can tell you is, I got two
strong batteries back from the grave and I saved about
$130. I'm a happy camper.

UPDATE: Had two long road trips and did some fun off
roading with my deuce after tweeking the fuel density
compensator about 2 months ago. At the time I was
flat told it was going blow up in about a week and the
implication was that I was an idiot for adjusting it
due to low power. Well, the verdict is still out on
the "idiot" part, but as for the old deuce it's still
going strong.

Pyrometer never gets over 900 degrees at full throttle
in 5th., despite the tweeking. I've run it up to 55
mph just to see and it was fine, well under the tach
limit and exhaust heat max.

-Jack