Re: [MV] diesel fuel questions

From: cgarbee@ipass.net
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 12:34:12 PDT

The subject of off highway and highway fuel seems to pop up on this list with
some fequency and it bothers me a bit every time somebody mentions running off-
highway fuel on the highway...

I work for the NCDOT.

We, like other state Departments of Transportation, get all our funding from
highway use fees (gas/diesel taxes), vehicle title/tag fees, and other such
fees (but not the property taxes on the vehicle).

We, like other state Dartments of Transportation, do not get funding from
income taxes (state, local, or federal) or property taxes.

Local/City roads may be funded from other sources, but funding for some of
these in other states may also be provided by State or Federal DOT funds... In
my state, there are no County Roads since they are all under the State DOT
jurisdiction. There are City Roads though.

Having said the above, if you run off-highway fuel in your truck to avoid
paying the taxes on the fuel you are robbing your Transportation Department of
funds needed to improve/maintain the system that you are driving on... Avoid
paying the tax and you may not get caught and have to pay the civil penalty,
but you are reducing the funds available for pothole patching, resurfacing,
signage, snow/ice removal, widening, bridge replacemet, new routes, ect.

Just something to think about next time you fill up...

Obviously, this is a personal statement and does not necessarily reflect the
views of my employer... etc. etc...

Also, your state DOT might do things a little differently than mine...

C. Garbee
www.garbee.net/~cabell
'53 USMC M37 with Cummins 4BT
'51 USA M38