Re: [MV] Smoke or Vapor in M35 Deuce Fuel Tank?

From: william f cox (grntrks@juno.com)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 01:18:35 PDT

Jim,
It may be the fuel pump overheating due to low fuel. The pump being
electric is cooled by fuel in the tank. I never let my duece get below
1/4 tank to prevent the heating of the pump.
Just a possibility.
Frank

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 00:04:09 -0700 "Jim Newton" <jnewton@laurel.com>
writes:

> Hi Everyone...
>
> Whenever I drive my (multifuel running diesel) deuce a long way
> (several hundred miles or so), whenever I stop to fuel it up there
> is
> quite a lot of smoke or vapor that comes out of the tank as soon as
> open the cap.
>
> Does this happen on anyone else's deuce? What is causing this
> smoke?
>
> I'm not worried...just curious.
>
> ***
>
> BTW, I drove the deuce from the San Francisco peninsula almost to
> Reno
> and back (382 miles) on a single tank of fuel this weekend, and
> that
> was with the 7,000 lb CUCV Suburban in tow and including a bunch of
> 4-wheeling ...er, I mean 6, make that...10 wheeling up in the
> mountain
> dirt fire trails with 30 troops on board! Not bad. Comes out to
> right about 7-1/2 MPG. That's probably better than the soccer mom's
> big Ford Excursion down the street gets. ;)
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
>
> Jim "Ike" Newton
>
> o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban
> 6.2 Liter (378 CID) Turbo-Diesel Engine
> 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD
>
> o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half"
> 478 CID Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine
> Air Shift Front Axle
> 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD
>
> See These Trucks at www.CUCV.NET
> Keyword Searching of 22,000 Electronic TMs at www.MILDOCS.com
>
> ===Mil-Veh is a member-supported mailing list==To unsubscribe, send
> e-mail to: <mil-veh-off@mil-veh.org>
> <mil-veh-digest@mil-veh.org>

Frank Cox (grntrks@juno.com)
Vietnam 1966