Re: [MV] Lack of armor in Iraq - or a lack of sense?

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 14:40:31 PDT

I don't know who your congressman is, but I certainly wouldn't write my
congressman to find out what is going on. The word clueless comes to mind.
 How these guys get in office is beyond me. (I guess the millions of
dollars of campain money didn't hurt.)

What we have in Iraq is an unresolvable situation. We got in, no problem.
Getting out, big problem.

I heard recently that the plan is to keep military forces there for at
least the next two years. I bet it is a lot longer than that.

This really reminds me of Viet Nam when I was growing up. The newscast:
Today we lost X men, which was better than yesterday when we lost Y men.
The total for the week is Z. They were always bad situations that should
have been prevented, it was a surprise attack, a tossed grenade, no way to
stop it etc. BS, the war continues. I think it is going to get worse.

We have no exit strategy. We will be lucky if we don't lose a thousand
guys over there this year. If we leave now, the Shitites take over and it
becomes a right wing extremeist Islamic state. We stay and we take
casualties. If the Iraqi's want democracy, they are going to have to fight
for it just like everyone else. If they don't stand up and fight for it,
we are wasting our time. Not everyone has American values. A lot of
people in the world are quite happy living in a religious state. In fact
they flock there. Look at Israel.

The Iraqi's couldn't stand a frontal attack so it is turning into a
guerilla war. Surprise attacks and ambush.

> Our guys are targets simply because the Pro-Saddam
elements have zero respect for our guys and life in general.

No, we are their enemy. We shoot at them and they shoot back. They don't
want us there. We invaded their country and are now occupying it and some
of them don't like it. (Are you surprised?)

It takes one bullet to kill a guy and we still can't find and kill Sadam or
Osama. For all of the high tech stuff we have, our intelligence network is
really screwed up.

George Bush should have never started this without a clear concise exit
strategy. So far I have seen nothing.

Dave

--
Dave