Re: [MV] Drivers license needed in New York state.

From: Doc Bryant (rbhonk1@cox.net)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 16:50:44 PDT

The issue of what is and what is not allowed in New York sounds familiar to
me. Besides having an M37, I collect locomotive air horns and whistles.
From time to time, I have one mounted on my truck. (Ok, all the time, you
got me there.) People have come to me and said, "Why that is illegal. You
can not do that." I have yet to see in any DOT rulebook that what I have is
against any rules. Yes, if I tootle it incessantly, I might get hauled off
to the Crossbar Hotel, but that would be for disturbing the peace. But not
because I had a locomotive air horn on my truck.

This month alone I have had to give command performances for one Texas
Ranger (not the baseball playing type), one Highway Patrol officer, and one
Sheriff's Deputy. All were in awe, and left laughing. If people ask me, I
tell them I repair them for short line railroads and museums. Which is
gospel truth.

But as to paraphrase Joe Foley, "Do what they let you get away with."
Sometimes, a nicely worded, "Gee officer, I have been doing this for ten
years and this is the first time it has been brought to my attention" can
diffuse Officer Unfriendly.

Doc Bryant
M37
And a lot of very loud things