Re: [MV] Looking for a M35A2--Are auction vehicles generally drivable? THANKS EVERYBODY!!!

From: Steve Hughes (hughe029@tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 23:06:37 PDT

Wow,

You guys are great! Thanks for all the great info!

So many useful replies, and essentially all saying the same thing:
Buying from GL or GSA at auction is just too risky.

No offense taken at the suggestion that merely asking the question
suggests that I may not be the guy to take the GL auction risk--it
turns out that I really am NOT that guy. I miss having a vehicle that I
can work on myself and look forward to getting dirty with a project
vehicle that does not require big work, as I don't have the heavy tools
needed for a major rebuild of anything. It sounds like--unless I could
get a vehicle for soooo cheap that it is essentially no risk--I really
need to talk to Joe Young.

I don't need something right away, as I am really looking for a hobby
truck to use on my hobby farm in northwestern Wisconsin. Like a lot of
guys on this list, I don't exactly need an M35A2, but I surely do want
one! Somehow my wife has trouble grasping the importance of have six
wheel drive in taking my five year old daughter to the Dairy Queen in
Spooner, but I'm sure you all understand. My home is in St. Paul, MN
and, as I see it, the main problem with getting a truck from a dealer
to here or the farm is the $1000 or so I'll pay in shipping from the
east or west coast. I've made a couple of contacts, but again, I am
looking at quite a premium in shipping costs. I just missed getting to
Camp Ripley in Little Falls, MN, for the GL pre-auction inspection (the
GL rep was unavailable the day I could have made it), but based on the
advice received so far, that may not have been such a great option
anyway!

So if I don't ship, could I reasonably expect to drive to Wisconsin
from souther New Jersey? Or is that just to far for a vehicle of this
type and age (even if worked over by Joe)?

If I really need to ship, can I save a lot by shipping to say, Chicago?

Can you rent a flatbed for enough less than the cost of shipping to
justify it?

Thanks for all the help. I no longer feel like a I watching all the
bargains go by at the GL auction!

Steve