Re: [MV] Looking for a M35A2--Are auction vehicles generally drivable? THANKS...

From: william f cox (grntrks@juno.com)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 20:46:45 PDT

Steve,
More fun to buy one you can drive right away. Enthusiasm wains the longer
it takes to get it mobile.

Several things come to mind: Shipped my DUKW from Mi. to Tx == $1600.00
(8 yrs ago)
My M35A2 cruises at 2,300 rpm ( 50?mph) = long drive Jersy to Mn, but you
get to see the country your driving through better than at 70 or so.
Ear plugs or muffs are ESSENTIAL or your hearing may not recover.
Un-mufflered 3" exhaust next to cab, turbo-charger whine, gear noise and
HOT cab interior x hours on the road = fatigued driver. Don't be in a
hurry, make frequent stops and stretch your legs and stay alert.
Once you get used to their limitations ( and awsome abilitiies ) they are
a major hoot to drive. I've had my M35A2 2 1/2 years and look for
excuses to drive it: i.e., need a loaf of bread, " I think the crew cab
is running funny " , " the duece needs some road time, so I'm going for
a pack of smokes ", etc. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but doesn't complain
(much) and even goes along once in a while. I think she feels I'm in my
second childhood. (chuckle).
Just make sure the truck is road worthy before any trip in it. Ask the
dealer you buy from and most will gladly teach you to drive it safely
since the large MV's are a little different than most other trucks.

Good luck and "Keep 'em rollin'!"

Frank

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 05:54:10 EDT Recovry4x4@aol.com writes:
> I say drive the darn thing. Joe has pics of his truck crossing the
> country on
> their way to a new home. What a great way to get to know the sounds
> and
> attitude of a new vehicle. Sounds like fun. My wife still has the
> bewildered look
> on her head when I start up the truck and the kids come running for
> a ride,
> especially the 18 month old.
> I bought,
> I fixed,