STARTER

From: Gene Pantano (truks@cs.quik.com)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 17:25:18 PDT

For a time--I have been trying to deal with a 12 volt starter in my
HMMWV..of course..I put a 454 gas engine in it...which will not allow the
HMMWV or a CUCV starter to be installed. They are too fat for the big block
engine. After frying the starter "testing" it....
I hauled the starter down to a local High Priest of starter rebuilders...and
he converted it to 24 volt in a few hours. The windings stayed..but, he put
on a 24 volt solenoid. Works slicker than snot..at first..I thought
something was wrong...but - forgot to put the shifter in NEUTRAL....
Started right up..and runs like a wife heading to a one day sale at K Mart
!!
The shop I go to has been in business over 50 years..and does starters -
generators and speedometers..! Great guys..and real craftsmen... Gene