Re: [MV] By Golly, They DO run backwards!

From: Everette (194cbteng@pchnet.com)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 19:50:02 PDT

There was a ferry across Mississippi River out from Dyersburg, Tn. when we
first moved here that when it approached the Mo. side of river, they stopped
engine, threw lever and restarted engine and it ran the other way, that was
how the backed ferry into dock, when they came back to Tenn. it was not
necessary to reverse engine on Tenn side. Ferry was constructed in 1939,
would hold about a dozen autos, nothing larger than single axle bob truck. I
never saw what make engine it was. 6 cylinder diesel, slow turning, flywheel
about 6 feet in dia.

There was room on each side of engine house for two autos to back into, 4
could pull up to bow and they would park 4 more sideways behind front row.
If you were one of the cars parked sideways they put a piece of 2 x 4 board
in front of wheel to make you feel like you were not going to roll off.

I never had occasion to ferry M35 across but they would have taken it and
maybe 4 cars, that was what they would do when I crossed in my C65 chevy bob
truck

Everette

I WILL LIFT UP MY EYES TO THE HILL,
FROM WHENCE DOES MY HELP COME,