RE: [MV] M151A2 Starting Problem - Solved (I hope)

From: Antonio Regazzoni (Home) (antonio.regazzoni@bluewin.ch)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 08:06:21 PDT

Thanks to all of you for the first answers.

Yes Dick. I cleaned the spark plugs and adjusted the electrode
clearance.
I can see sparks on them. I must say that they are not very bright.
This makes me think about an electrical problem.

The tank is full, the fuel pump line disconnected from the carb,
can fill up o small Coke bottle in just 10 seconds during cranking.
I have a transparent fuel filter on the fuel line as well and I can
see the fuel flowing though it while cranking. I suppose
that when the carb bowl is filled up, fuel excess goes back to the
tank through the return fuel line.

I saw something that could be normal or not, please comment. If I remove

the big rubber hose between the air filter and the carb air intake, I
can se
the fuel squirts coming up during cranking at the rithm of the fuel pump
stroke.
This happens even if I do not push on the accelerator. Since the engine
doesn't
start, quite a lot of fuel drops back out from the carb open end. Is
this normal ?

I rebuilt the carb to specs using a new kit. I checked the float
distances in
both upper and lower positions. I even tried to put back the old fuel
intake
valve to exclude a carb flooding problem.

The last thing I must say (the last thing is usually the reason of all
the problems),
is that I have a cracked carb float. Unfortunately there was no
replacement
in the carb kit. It appears to be a black full-plastic float (not empty
inside)
and therefore I'm not very concerned about it. Am I wrong ?

What else can I check ?

Thanks,

Antonio or Tony if you prefere ...