Re: [MV] WWII Navy and Marine Corp vehicle colors

From: Glen Bedel (GBedel@designforum.com)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 05:33:08 PDT

Skip,

I spoke with my neighbor Dick, last night. Dick told me of the paint, he
remembers it as a flat paint (USMC), as far a navy colors, Dick said they
were either the typ. Battleship grey (glossy he said) or a blue color. The
USMC colors he said were Forest green and milk whey based tan.

Also for you California restorers Dick told me, He and his Jar Head buddies
use to carry their set of brass stencils. Dick told me of a guy in his
platoon that ran sides of beef from the commissary to "his" customers, and
when the state police were looking for him he painted his vehicle numbers
himself.
Dick said there were vehicles (& numbers) in California that the DOD had no
records of........

Another thing on the jeep issue was that Dick and his buddies would "Borrow"
jeeps from the army motorpool and sell them to the navy when they were in
port. This was during WWII. Dick Served in the south pacific campaigns from
1941 to I believe the end of the war.

Dick has many stories to tell, he mentioned the VFW wanted to record his
view on the war for a verbal history, I tried to convince him to.

Glen