M1008 CUCV Starter Problems

From: Bruce Beattie (bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 20:06:44 PDT

Hi List,
    Truck almost didn't start when I headed back from work.
Before I pull the starter, I figured I'd toss out the symptoms to the
list.
Tried starting and heard some grinding noise as though the ring gear was
eating the
starter gear. Stopped and tried it again. This time it didn't grind, it
kinda whirred,
but obviously wasn't engaging the fly wheel. Third Time and it grabbed
and started.

What is your opinion on this, And what should I expect, do, etc.

I have the manuals on CD, but my back is a bit gamy, so I wanted to ask
first
and turn wrenches second.

All help really appreciated!

Bruce MVPA 23824