Re: [MV] About active armor...and hueys

From: J Travis (dagobert@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 21:21:12 PDT

Richard wrote:

>umm.....I don't think it'd reduce the -momentum-
>at all.
>
>I don't know whether the same mass of vaporized
>metal would be more or less likely to penetrate;
>but even vaporized, it's still X grams moving at Y
>feet per second....

True, but if the inner plating were given a sloped or diamond-plate type
texture, it might be sufficent to dispurse the vaporized copper. That,
and/or the inner plates may be coated with some sort of alloy strong
enough to resist it. Maybe even coating the inside surface of the inner
panel with some sort of high-temp ceramic similar to the heat tiles off
the shuttle might help?

Jay