Re: [MV] Military vehicle rules

From: International Movie Services (ims@telus.net)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 09:51:46 PDT

Military vehicles do not stop at weigh stations. In my day we were either
given "scrip" for passage through toll booths or a pass which had to be
shown and the number recorded. The "scrip" regulation was that it covered
only the vehicle for which it was issued. When I was a troop leader
commanding a section of towed 155mm Howitzers we were stopped at a toll
booth by an over-zealous agent who wanted "scrip" for the gun as he
considered it a trailer or separate vehicle. When I asked him what would
happen if we didn't pay he said we would have to leave the "trailers"
behind-which we did! I ordered a "detachment rear" and about the moment we
had unlimbered the guns and were preparing to leave them there with a guard
picquet he realized the error of his ways! Never a problem again!!
By the way we still had two Mack NO's, two M41's and the balance M54's well
into the 1970's. The Mack's were inherited from a predecessor WW2 heavy
anti-aircraft unit and the Government never got around to taking them away.
I have located and saved an M41 and 54, and one of our NO's is badly stored
at an Army museum, but at least still exists.
Ubique!! (The Artillery motto which means "everywhere", the Infantry
translates this as "all over the place").
Ian