Re: [MV] tire alignment M35, idle speed

From: Bonnie (bfeamster@cox.net)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 15:56:53 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Employee@MilVeh.com" <milveh@sbcglobal.net>
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] tire alignment M35, idle speed

> Deuce tire alignment: It was recently brought up that
> there appears to be an inherient defect in the
> steering of the deuce that causes the edges of the
> front tires to wear fast, possibly because they turn
> under in turning. Is this true? Any correction?

Deuce axles have a 12 degree downward slant in relation to the differential,
for hauling heavy loads. This combined with the bias ply tires causes the
tires to "roll" under. If the toe is set correctly, should read -1/16
to -3/16 inch toe-in, and the pressure you should get a couple of thousand
miles out of them. To fully correct the "cupping" you would need to cut and
reweld the housing so there is 1 degree of downward slant. I just figure
that tires aren't that expensive and I don't drive it that much I'll live
with it.

Roll on.
Richard
1970 M35A2C w/w