M35 Front Tire Wear + Alignment

From: kbernste32@aol.com
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 06:46:24 PDT

The comments about alignment are right on the money.
I put NOS 900x20s on Big Mike, and 3000K later they are
played out. I wish I had checked alignment BEFORE
puting them on - its easy and very quick to adjust.
In our case, the toe-in was more than an inch off!!!
The TM calls for a spring loaded gauge between tires,
but as RAM suggested, a nail scratch down the center of each tire and a tape measure works just as well.
PS It helps to have a BIG STINKING pipe wrench to turn the tie rod.

Kerry

Marc Wrote -
Couple the miles with the extreme pavement heat in
some areas, and overall wear was not good.
The fronts were about 65% when I left. Now they are
just about junk. They chopped badly on the outsides
of their tread profile. This seams to be a common
issue with these trucks. My theory is that the 8-ply
bias tires roll under when turning causing this uneven
wear.