Re: [MV] M35 Front Tire Wear + Alignment

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Sat Aug 16 2003 - 11:59:38 PDT

At 09:46 AM 8/16/2003 -0400, kbernste32@aol.com wrote:
>The comments about alignment are right on the money.
>I put NOS 900x20s on Big Mike, and 3000K later they are
>played out. I wish I had checked alignment BEFORE
>puting them on - its easy and very quick to adjust.
>In our case, the toe-in was more than an inch off!!!
>The TM calls for a spring loaded gauge between tires,
>but as RAM suggested, a nail scratch down the center of each tire and

>a tape measure works just as well.
>PS It helps to have a BIG STINKING pipe wrench to turn the tie rod.

         Most truck shops that align tires the old way you and Ram are
describing that I have seen use a wooden bar with an adjustable piece using
wood clamps modified for the purpose to hold the pointers. Once you set the
pointers you don't have to worry about tape sag, though if you are careful
the tape measure will work.

Jim

>Kerry
>

>Marc Wrote -
>Couple the miles with the extreme pavement heat in
>some areas, and overall wear was not good.
>The fronts were about 65% when I left. Now they are
>just about junk. They chopped badly on the outsides
>of their tread profile. This seams to be a common
>issue with these trucks. My theory is that the 8-ply
>bias tires roll under when turning causing this uneven
>wear.

James Shanks
n1vbn@bit-net.com
1998 IMZ 8.103