Re: [MV] cargo cover, df exhaust & antenna

From: Mark J. Blair (ke6myk_mvlist@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 10:37:06 PDT

Vadim Kogan wrote:
> What do other people do with antennas on the left with cargo cover and
> exhaust?

Without using offset antenna mounts, you should put some heater hose around
the antennas where they rub, taped on with electrical tape or something
similar. This reduces teh wear on the cargo cover a bit, but more important;y,
it keeps the antenna from being destroyed. You don't want to rub through the
surface of the antenna, unless it's just for show and will never be used with
a radio.

> What would happen if I were to get an offset antenna mount? How
> would the antenna go around the exhaust?

That's the best option, and is pretty much mandatory if you convert to a troop
carrier configuration with the troop seats. The antenna will still be inboard
of the exhaust pipe when folded down, but it won't bind against the cover any
more.

> I have never actually seen the
> offset mount, so I don't know how much it sticks out.

I have a couple; I should take pictures of them for you if I remember. All of
the pictures on my web site were taken before I installed them, I think.

> The other problem is the tie-down for the cargo cover (the one that sticks
> out on the outside of the vehicle). There is one right next to the exhaust
> and the exhaust screen (mesh) is bent in a little in that spot, however it
> is fully touching the tie-down.

Yup. They do that. I just push mine out of the way a bit to wedge the hookle
into place.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <ke6myk@sbcglobal.net>
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/