Fun at UPS, or David Russo's luck, or Hazmat Shipping Lesson 1

From: John Seidts (jseidts@astory.com)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 08:55:05 PDT

So we're on our way to UPS to ship two list member's brand new fire
extinguishers to their place of residence. Outside in the parking lot, we
are dealing with our new son's diaper while I am removing the two
extinguishers from the van for shipping. I set down David's extinguisher on
the pavement, hear a small pop, and then see white powder streaming out of
the corners of the box....

Sorry David, your extinguisher is no longer charged...

Not wanting to spread a large amount of white powder around the parking lot
of UPS and thereby creating a Hazardous Materials Box for the local bored
firemen, I pick up the box with a now completely discharged extinguisher,
and walk into UPS with the other one for the lucky winner (he emailed and
payed by paypal first), and begin to type into their new automated system
for creating bills of lading. When it comes to the part about special
package considerations, I hear a voice behind me asking "Do you need some
help?" I reply that I need to know if there are any restrictions on
shipping charged fire extinguishers.

YES! Any cannister of compressed gas over 41 lbs per square inch can be
shipped only if you have a hazmat contract with UPS.

Verne, I am looking to check that these are compressed at less than that
pressure....

I am sure it's been heard here by other list members, but I figured it would
be for the good of the order.

Well, then, I head to my hangar where my next work stop is, and begin the
task of cleaning up the formerly charged extinguisher. What a mess. The
powder is very fine, tastes terrible, and altered the landscape right near
my hangar to a snowy white. The OD green extinguisher looks like a sickly
pale gray and is still covered by the stuff. And the stuff sticks well to
boxes.

Inside this box was the evidence I knew I would find. The safety pin which
had appeared at first glance to be tied into place with a plastic seal is at
the bottom of the box. The plastic seal is intact. It was put on, and
never connected properly. I have this sinking feeling, as I have looked at
these and gigged them numerous times when doing safety inspections for the
same thing...

So David, let me know what you want to do... I know that UPS can ship it
NOW!