USMC Markings

From: Horrocks, Aaron (ACHb@pge.com)
Date: Fri Aug 22 2003 - 11:09:19 PDT

Calling all old Marines!

I spent countless hours researching this to no resolution, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

I'd like to get the markings painted up on my jeep, and I'm wondering about a few things. I could go with the common US ARMY markings, and all the white letterings and stars (Early 1950's style). I think the white on green looks great, and most jeeps were serving the army anyhow.

OR

I could go with USMC markings, but all the M38A1's that I could find (only a handful) have yellow markings on the hood, bumper, and bumperettes - no stars. In fact, that's the same with WWII jeeps, and even MUTTs that were used by marines. Due to the way my jeep was modified in Korea, it's very likely that she could have been used by the marines. But then again, A1s were brand new in Korea, so it's doubtful that the marines would get the new models!

So, did marines ever paint white letters on their jeeps? what about stars? I was thinking of going with the white letters and stars, but with USMC designations. Would that be completely inaccurate, or historically correct?

Aaron Horrocks