Re: [MV] Starnge Request

From: Jarrett Redd (jarrett_l_redd@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Aug 23 2003 - 11:22:05 PDT

--- m35products <m35prod@optonline.net> wrote:
> I suggest that you get a human to do the translation, so that you don't
> start an international diplomatic crisis.

If you don't like the results, you can always ask for your money back! :-)

But seriously, sorry guys, I forgot not everyone on this list is
computer-savvy. I should have included a stronger disclaimer than: "these
sites are iffy at best". Computer translations are not magic. They don't
actually understand the text that you give them. So you have to actually use
your brain!

For example, BEFORE consulting "alternative translations":

English: I wish to be heard, NOW!!!
Dutch: MIJ wil voor zitten verstaan , Wel!!!
English: MY wish until sit understand , Well-being!!!

And now AFTER consulting "alternative translations":

English: I wish to be heard, NOW!!!
Dutch: MIJ wil voor zitten verstaan , Wel!!!
English: I wish to , be hear , now!

So, if you are translating, say, controls, and you get "enable sun" then you
can probably look at the alternatives and see "turn on lights" and pretty much
figure it out. But of course some times it messes up and you get garbage. So
if you see "climb fish" and the alternatives are "tape socks" and "talk bottle"
then you can know something is up and ignore the results.

So, to summarize: Don't use such a site unless you are will to spend some time
helping it along and don't use such a site if you are translating diplomatic
documents or some other critical application. And by all means, if you have an
actual person that can do it, go with that.

-Jarrett Redd
'86 M998

P.S. If you think computer translations of ordinary text is funny, you should
try technical documents in russian and japanese. They can provide for hours of
rolling on the floor enjoyment. For example: "Error, connection terminated."
After translating through Japanese and back: "Injustice! The connection is
no!" On the other hand, you can still get the idea.