CUCV starter problems - Thankyou! Long details...

From: Bruce Beattie (bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 26 2003 - 21:29:01 PDT

Thanks to all the nice folks that helped me to get my truck back on the
road!

I tore down the starter and solenoid. Cleaned it up good.
Basically it was in good shape except the main solenoid contact
which was grossly eroded/pitted on one side. I was able to rotate
it 180 degrees and now it is as good as new.
Reassembled and installed sub system.

Checked batteries....The old battery discovered that I had put in a new
battery
back in January. 2 bad cells!

Bought a new battery in a faraway place, and then found out that they do
not come precharged...oops.
Tried to fix old battery charger, but to no avail.

>From this wonderful list I took the suggestion to buy a chargetek 500
which has two
independent charging systems intended for use with 24volt series
systems.

Installed the charger right next to the pasenger side headlight just
behind the grill and to
the left of the NATO plug. Managed to break off one of the plastic tabs
on the grill *&%%^&&**^
Reassembled everything and plugged it in at night. Next morning, still
red light indicating
heavy charge in progress. Starting to sweat a bit. Couple of hours
latter green light comes on.
That's a relief.

Decided to check glow plugs while I was at it. Found a bad one. Spent
$18 at GMC truck
place for one AC60G, latter to find out that a list member would sell me
the same plug for $2.50!
Oh Well....se la vie. Replaced plug, and attempted to plug it in. Oops,
different size connector.
Luckilly I had some large "fast ons" which were the right size. Put
everything in its place and
went for the big test. Started right up with no problems at
all......well almost...The engine
was just fine, but I noticed that the right turnsignal indicater was on
solid....

Now I know what to do tomorrow. find where I grounded the turn signal
wire I'm guessing.
Figure I did something when I installed the charger on that side.

The joys of owning your own MV. This is more for your amusement since
this was nothing like
the things most of you have been thru.

Thanks again for all your help!
Bruce MVPA 23824