Re: [MV] Re M151 it continues, LOL

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 13:02:43 PDT

Hi Doc,

>It becomes then a "3rd rail" issue. Highly charged, and one not to be
>touched with any hope of survival.

Yes, very true. But this is inherently irrational and therefore supports
my point very well about the double standards being applied IF the gov't
is claiming to hold back one vehicle as unsafe (Mutt) while allowing
other vehicles that might be equally unsafe (say, my Pinzgauer) to be
lawfully registered and exposed to the general public. Or even worse,
allowing vehicles with obvious saftey issues get passing grades (like
Samauri) because the equation looks at the parts and not the sum of them
in real world use.

So again, I come back to saying that the gov't doesn't have a very strong
position if it is keeping Mutts and Humvees off the market for reasons of
"safety". Kinda like a maffia guy saying that he's going to protect you
from harm, but if you don't pay up he is going to break your kneecaps :-)
 Either protect or punish, but don't pretend that they are the same.

Steve