Re: [MV] Buyers Beware

From: Bill Kealey (cwkealey@charter.net)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 22:01:09 PDT

I would call that part of the rebuilding process. Are they still pressure
testing it? Have they checked the fittings for secure solder joints?

Just like removing the cylinder of an engine or the piston, rings, etc. is
PART of the engine rebuilding process. It may or may not be necessary to
remove and replace the core as it is often not necessary to replace any or
all cylindars in an engine rebuild job. The condition of the cylinders
would be the determining factor as well as the method necessary to bring the
engine back to specified tolerances. Perhaps breaking the glaze on the
cyls. and installing chrome rings may suffice but I wouldn't call that a
rebuild/reconditon of the engine. I would certainly not flush out the
engine and say that it is rebuilt.

In fact the repair of one cylinder would not be more than part of a
rebuild/reconditon of an engine and that would apply also to a single cyl.
engine. A lot more is involved in rebuilding something than just cleaning
it out.

If someone offered to sell you a rebuilt brake master cylindar and told you
that the rebuild only involved flushing it out, would you trust your
families lives to that "rebuild/reconditon"? Would you even agree that it
was rebuilt? My answer to both is a definite no.

Also, please note that this opinion of mine has nothing to do with the
practices of T.W. Murray as I have not had the same experience in my
dealings with that business. My purpose was to support the opinion that
flushing a radiator is not rebuilding or reconditioning. I use both terms
here because depending on the area the terms have different meanings and
some places the same meaning.

I speak with personal professional experience rebuilding engines of all
sizes and types many years ago. I have never rebuilt a radiator but I have
seen it done and had several done for me. Flushing a radiator is not, in my
opinion, rebuilding/reconditioning the radiator.

And to be fair, a business can charge whatever it wants to charge for it's
product, if I am not in agreement with the price I'll go elsewhere. So,
whatever is being charged for the radiators is not a concern to me
personally. As to whether they call flushing the radiator out the same as a
rebuild, as long as I ask up front what they consider a rebuild and they are
honest with me then I have no qualms with whatever they choose to call the
product. Again, if I feel that the information differs from what I think it
should be then I will also go elsewhere. Hence . . . Let the buyers beware.

No hard feelings. That's just the way it is at least as far as I am
concerned. But as for a definition of what work was reported to this group,
I feel very strongly that Stu's assessment of what a rebuild job is, is
correct.

"Flame on . . . Flame on Harvest Moon . . . ." or something like that.
<insert malicious grin>

Bill K.
MVPA #24623
1954 USMC M38A1