M1028 CUCV rear shelter tie-down brackets (short vs. long)

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 05:43:57 PDT

List,
    My truck (and most of the others I have seen) has rear shelter tie-downs that are probably 10-12" long and extend several inches out past the bed rail. However, I have also seen a few pictures of M1028 Shelter Carriers with short rear brackets that extend no more than an inch or so past the bed rail (if that much). What is the difference? Are the shorter tie-downs an older version, or perhaps for some specific use? The TM contains only one part number for the rear brackets, so I'm figuring there are not 2 versions.
    Were these short brackets the original design that got changed early on? The drawing in the TM shows what appear to be the short versions, although I know the TM does not necessarily show things to scale.

    Any insight is appreciated.

    Thanks,
        Neil