Re: [MV] SS Re: [MV] anybody know this man?

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Sat Sep 20 2003 - 10:20:12 PDT

Wow, this thread has really gone over the edge.

Steve, I'm going to guess that you don't have any kids. Since if you did
you would know that kids sometimes do things they are not suppose to and
sometime's parents don't always catch them before something goes wrong. To
my knowledge, this Kid-Parent type relationship has been going on for
thousands of years in sort of the same manner.

Sometimes Kids get into stuff that they should not and do some damage. Is
that wrong, of course. Should we hang them so they don't do it again, I
don't think so.

My point regarding software and security is that: When a kid, with minimal
education and some time to cause mischeif on a generic computer can cause
great harm to a "secure" server, there is a problem with the server. We
both know that the kid should not be doing this, granted. But there is a
bigger problem with the server, since we both know that there are experts
out there also, who can do a much better job hacking a server than some kid
doing some hacking in the living room. This should serve as a wake up
call.

Ok, so the kid should go to counseling and the kids parents should be fined
$1000 for letting him get into trouble, but thrown into jail? Yeah right.
 We would all be better off if someone asked the kid how he did the hack,
asked his friends what they know about hacking and build code into the
server that is resistant to such attacks. Because you and I know that the
expert hackers know one hell of a lot more than these kids.

Your shoot the kid, ignore the security risk idea is a little over the top.

I've known a lot of kids that have come from very rough backgrounds, were
abandoned, abused etc. and very few have I found were anything close to
evil intended. They were simply a result of their environment and most can
be helped with some attention.

I just don't understand why some people come to Microsoft's defense over
and over again. They have produced some really crappy software that has
created major security holes in America. They have a protected monopoly
over the software they produce and for some reason a lot of people think
this is ok.

BTW, if we had no guns in America, people would use knives and sticks to
kill each other. I am certainly not of the "the gun is the problem"
mindset.

Dave

--
Dave