squeak in a HMMWV

From: Vadim Kogan (vadim@XCF.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 10:51:58 PDT

Hello List,

For some time I had this weird squeak in my M998. I thought it was the
belts. I spent quite some time on those belts, but couldn't get the squeak
to go away completely... Then I thought it must be some bearing and I was
getting really depressed over that...

Now I know exactly what it is. It's a shield on the right size of the
vehicle (left side of the engine as seen from the front). This shield is
bolted to the engine in 3 spots (between the cylinders) and appears to have
the job of heat-shielding the exhaust manifold on that side of the engine.
There does not appear to be a matching one on the right side. It's just a
piece of sheet metal, really. Holes cut out for varios components to go
through (e.g. glow plugs), few bends here and there to go around things.

This shield has cracked near one of the mounting location. In fact, it's the
first mounting point as seen from the front of the engine. It cracked right
on the 90 degree bend. This is an M998. I don't see how I could possibly get
to this thing to remove it without actually pulling the engine out. The
starter is in the way too, as are some frame elements.

So far, the best solution I have is to remove some of the hoses, pull the
rest out of the way, and try to put a bead there (weld it). But before I go
ahead with this plan, I was wondering whether anybody else had a similar
problem and maybe has a better solution.

Vadim.