Re: [MV] Titling gripes

From: Edward Greeley (etgreeley@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2003 - 21:05:19 PDT

This subject recurs frequently. It is a perfect example of why we need
UNIFORM, MANDATORY FEDERAL LAWS applicable to motor vehicle
registration. And by MANDATORY, I mean that ALL states MUST comply with
them, without exception, without additions, and without deletions.
Period. And how would the federal govt force the states to fall in line?
Simple. As the Feds do with everything else: they just need to say that
if any of the "several states" do not comply, those states will lose ALL
federal highway funding. Watch 'em knuckle under!

Let it be known that I am over 70 years young, and am probably more
conservative than 90 percent of self-styled conservatives. I believe
firmly in "state's rights", up to a point. This is not a matter of
"state's rights", however, it is a matter of interstate commerce, the
regulation of which according to the US Constitution is a federal
matter. What could be more exemplary of "interstate commerce" than motor
vehicle trading? Well, maybe vessle trading (boats/ships), and aircraft
trading. Please notice that aircraft matters, titling, etc, are ENTIRELY
federal in nature. Perhaps that is because aircraft came on the scene in
the 20th century, not in the 19th century like horseless carriages.

Personally, I am really tired of fighting the b.s. every time I decide
to buy a vehicle (or boat) in Texas, for example, or Florida, and bring
it back here to bass-ackwards Alabama (all the states are similar in
this respect) and try to get the thing registered/titled. First, you
have the know-nothing idiots who "work" (coffee breaks, gossip-time,
lunch time, etc) in the DMV, Tax Collector's Office, or whichever
flung-dung Mickey-Mouse bureaucratic entity is responsible put you
through the grinder. If what you are trying to do is the least bit out
of the ordinary it will require at least one call to the state capital
to another know-nothing idiot(s). Again, coffee break, lunch time, etc.
Try again, later, between 0930 and 0945. Been there, done that.

I've been through the grinder in OH, FL, NJ, TX, and oh-mygod-AL and
don't think I'll try it any more before I kiss off.

Think about it, then write to your "congress-person" and lobby for a
UNIFORM, SENSIBLE, MANDATORY NATIONAL vehicle titling/registration law.

I know I'll never see that...

Ed