Re: [MV] Titling gripes

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2003 - 20:50:28 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Frisch" <jenjas@cox.net>

> I have also questioned GL about the double tax

I had not thought of it before, but I paid taxes twice on my trucks. I
bought both in SC and when I got titles I paid sales tax again. I wonder if
I had taken the "invoice" with me and let them look at the tax part would
they have charged me. I think they would because I would have to prove I
paid the state the tax, not paid GL the tax. Of course I wouldn't rock the
boat because the sales price on the "certificate to obtain title", which is
what they based my tax on was only 15% of what I actually paid for the
truck. What's up with that?

Just for the record, you need a "bill of sales" in SC to get a title if the
"certificate to obtain title" is signed by someone other than the person
seeking the title. I used a form GL sent me instead and they excepted it.
The trucks I have bought from GSA only needed the "certificate to obtain
title" since they were made out to me, instead of a 3rd party (GL). I think
it helps to go to a small town DMV or get lucky and talk with the one or two
people in the big city that know what's going on. I live close to a rural
county and I always go to the DMV office in their biggest town where there
is only 2 employee's and rarely a line.

Can I request for GL to prove to me they sent the taxes they collect to my
state? I bet if the state isn't getting their money they would like to
know. That's the one thing you can count on government to do, collect
money.

Joe Trapp