M54 Detroit Diesel Conversion

From: Rick Thiers (rick@mvsalesandhardware.com)
Date: Thu Sep 25 2003 - 04:29:41 PDT

Hi Listers,
        Has any one been foolish enough to try to convert the Continental R6602 gas
engine in an M54 to a Detroit Diesel engine? I have a friend with several
different running Detroits, and I was wondering how difficult it would be to
do the change over. Is there a Detroit that could be bolted up to the trans
in the M54, or could the 9 speed Road Ranger be used with a civy or military
transfer case? I'm going to be building a cabin in a remote area, and was
hoping to use the 5 ton cargo truck to haul materials to the site. At
around 5 mpg, the M54 would be uneconomical to use with the gas engine.
This friend has these wrecked trucks with good drivelines, and I thought a
diesel with a 9 speed would be great for the 8 hour round trip. Would any
other engines work? Should I just try to get a good LDT multi-fuel engine?
Also, what about an air brake conversion? I saw that one posting a week or
so back, and found the kit to be quite expensive. Maybe I could go to my
local big truck parts house and get the pieces. Has anyone ever done the
conversion themselves? I appreciate any information on this foolish idea of
mine.
                Thanks,
                        Rick

Rick Thiers